A lot of digital, design and production agencies are pretty small affairs – a handful of people with talent and great ideas. And sometimes it’s just not feasible to take on a salaried content marketing expert – some projects don’t need it, and the budget just won’t stretch.
Freelance content marketing consulting is a flexible solution that works for many small agencies. For less than you’d pay for a junior in-house marketing executive, you can bring in an expert to guide the content marketing side of the projects you take on.
Hiring a freelance content marketing consultant can:
- Ensure the content you produce is on brand
- Demonstrate to your customers that you take content marketing seriously
- Give the content you produce direction and purpose
- Make life easier for your designers, developers and project leads
- Help you develop a successful content marketing strategy
- Add value to the services you deliver to customers
Don’t treat your customers’ content as an after-thought. A freelance content marketing consultant gives you the insight and expertise you need to get it right, without the big expense.
Content Marketing Consulting FAQs
What kinds of things does a content marketing consultant do?
A freelance content marketing consultant is there to support you on a project by offering guidance, insight and input into the content side of things – so far, so obvious. But what kinds of things do they actually do? Content marketing consultants can:
- Work with your copywriters to improve their skills and output
- Attend initial client briefings as part of the project team
- Design a content marketing strategy
- Create a concept / theme for a project
- Shape brand identity and tone of voice
- Plan and guide editorial calendars
- Collaborate with designers and developers in-house
A freelance content marketing consultant is there to plug the gaps in your project, offering expertise you’d otherwise be missing – their specific activities will be guided by the project specifications.
How long can we hire a content marketing consultant for?
There’s really no limit to how much time you can hire a content marketing consultant for – it depends what kind of input you need.
You might simply want someone to attend a client meeting as part of your team, and then have them go away and write up a content marketing recommendation based on what they’ve learned. Or, you might want them there for the duration of the project, whether that’s a few days or five days a week for six months.
How much does a content marketing consultant cost?
A content marketing consultant’s fees will vary depending on a number of factors – how experienced / in-demand they are, how long the project is, and what kinds of work they’ll be taking on.
You may also pay more if you want them to come in-house – some content marketing consultants prefer to work remotely, so travel expenses and out-of-house expenses may also be added.
So, with all that considered, your content marketing consulting fees will vary widely. You can expect to pay anywhere from £5000 to £50,000 a month, which is about £250 a day upwards. A lot of content marketing consultants will charge less per day if you hire them for a longer period, whereas single day rates may be closer to £500-£1000.